Did you know Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 is the federal law that prohibits sex discrimination in education? It covers women and men, girls and boys, and staff and students in any educational institution or program that receives federal funding.
It applies to all areas of education, including:
• Recruitment, admissions, and housing
• Career and technical education
• Pregnant, parenting, or married students
• Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM)
• Sexual harassment and assault
• Comparable facilities and access to course offerings
• Financial assistance
• Student health services and insurance benefits
• Harassment based on gender identity
Recently there has been constant attacks on this amendment, most centering on athletic requirements and expanded educational opportunities for girls have come at the of boys.
The AAUW WI board is holding a day for you learn much more about Title IX
on Saturday, February 24, 2018 from 10:00-2:00 at the Bridgewood Best Western in Neenah.
10:00 Presentation by Katie Nielson, from AAUW, on the highlights and attacks on Title IX.
11:00 Kim Jones, Title IX Coordinator from Lawrence University
12:00 Lunch Soup and Salad buffet. $20 per person
12:30 Diving into Title IX Advocacy